Friday, August 12, 2011

Bullets of Filler Material

Blogging is hard, and I remember now how much I suck at it. Until something sufficiently wacky and interesting happens, we resort to the dreaded bulleted list.

Bullet No. 1: I took my car to my mechanic to get my tire patched and plugged. He took one look at the pathetic, treadless slab of rubber I dragged in, had pity on me, and informed me that the tire was not worth the $15 I was about to put into it. I explained that I didn't have any money for a full set and just needed something to get me a drivable vehicle again. After inspecting my car and his used tire selection, he found two almost but not quite as bad used tires and discovered that my high quality rear tires could be rotated to the front while his used tires could work fine in the back, and then did it all for $30, cutting me a nice deal because "You've thrown a lot of business my way," which is a nice way of saying "Thank you for driving shitty death traps." So a big shout out and thank you to my friends at Ronan's in Richmond.

Bullet No. 2: I just walked to the VP down the block and purchased a Powerball ticket and a $3 bottle of clearanced wine (Gallo Family Vineyards Chardonnay). Convenience store professionals refer to this combo as "The Cry For Help."

Bullet No. 3: My other ancient car, the 1990 Plymouth Horizon, also has a flat tire from the alley debris from the idiot across the alley. Unfortunately, due to the advanced state of rust on the lugnuts, I am unable to change it myself. "But Andy," you say, "just loosen the lugnuts before you jack it up." Oh, I tried. It turns out, all evidence to the contrary, I am actually strong enough to lift the car off the ground and spin the tire before the lugnuts will loosen. On the plus side, this means I can probably carry the car to the mechanic with relative ease.

Bullet No. 4: If this clearanced wine is at all drinkable, every one of siblings is getting a bottle for Christmas.

Bullet No. 5: Blogger's examples of post labels, known as "tags" to people who actually speak Internet, are "scooters, vacation, fall." I'm going on record right now by saying that taking a scooter vacation in the fall would be a ton of fun. Unless by "fall" they mean "falling off the scooter." That would be less fun.

Bullet No. 6: Speaking of scooters, I went running the other day. I ran by a group of people congregating outside of a garage. One of them yelled, "There goes killer! Watch out, don't fall!" at me, I assume, as there were no other people on the street. I was utterly confused until I saw that he rode in on a scooter, and thus was probably intoxicated. I should refer him to the VP, or better yet, trade him a case of my clearance wine for his scooter.

Bullet No. 7: The VP also has Mad Dog 20/20 on clearance. Dad will be getting one of those.

4 comments:

Liz Miller said...

Did I say last week how glad I am to have you back? I'm so glad to have you back.

Nado said...

Man, what is it with people calling you names from moving vehicles? First "Trucky" in Mpls and now this? I got my first "call out" this summer. Not as cool as either of yours though, Killer.

Andy said...

Ferndo, I believe it was you who once hypothesized that I have a knack for meeting bizarre people wherever I go. It continues unabated.

Are you at West Lafayette yet(te)? We should do something awesome and cheap.

Frenado said...

Andy,

I am indeed in West Lafayette. We should definitely hang out. I'll let you know what my weekends look like once I get my syllabi this coming week.

Woo hoo!