Friday, March 30, 2007

A Great Marketing Idea

I would like to purchase a t-shirt that says "I hear voices and they tell me that schizophrenia is one of the least funny things in the world and belittling the struggle of those who have it makes you an utterly contemptible bastard."

Tragic, crippling, lifelong pain without hope is just not that funny to me, I guess, and the only reason I can image "voices in my head" jokes are so prevalent is ignorance, because no one who has ever spoken with a schizophrenic would ever make light of it. For example, you'd never see a t-shirt that says "The malignant tumor must have eaten the part of my brain that liked you," because it's accepted by all that cancer really isn't funny. Shizophrenia is worse than cancer; malignant tumors can be destroyed by radiation and chemotherapy and medication. Schizophrenia is terminal. A patient can only hope that the medications that do exist will quiet the voices for a while. They never fully go away. Schizophrenics live in almost constant pain and stress without hope of recovery. I do not see the humor in that.

I think I'm going to make a scene the next time I see someone wearing a shirt that makes a joke at the expense of the mentally ill, because it's beyond tasteless.

3 comments:

BerryBird said...

You didn't actually see someone wearing that did you? I am boggling here. It would be utterly unimaginable, except there it is plain as day. People are such idiots.

void deck blowjob princess said...

hah.

so not the average boynextblog, are you?

had a blast reading.

cheers,
trish.

Andy said...

Oops, I'm not keeping up on comments...

BerryBird, yes, I've seen t-shirts similar to that one. Frequently.

Trish, welcome to the blog! I don't think I've ever been average in my life. That sounds like a good post idea.